Twitter icon
Facebook icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

Congressman Stephen Fincher

Representing the 8th District of TENNESSEE

Fincher to Commemorate MD Anderson in Jackson

Oct 12, 2012
Press Release

MEDIA ADVISORY

Contact:  Jennifer Cook

Phone:  202-225-4714

Fincher to Commemorate MD Anderson in Jackson

Washington, DC – Today, U.S. Representative Stephen Fincher (R-Frog Jump), announced his participation in a ceremonial commemoration of the MD Anderson Plaza in Jackson, Tennessee. He will be accompanied by Senator Lamar Alexander.

Who: Congressman Stephen Fincher and Senator Lamar Alexander

What: Ceremonial Commemoration of the MD Anderson Plaza   

When: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:30am – 11:30am CST

Where: Federal Plaza between the Ed Jones Federal Building & U.S. Courthouse 109 South Highland Jackson, TN 38301

Additional Information: On March 3, 2011, Congressman Fincher introduced H.R. 1264, to honor M.D. Anderson, by designating a square in Jackson, TN as the M.D. Anderson Plaza. The bill passed the House and the U.S. Senate and was signed by the President on January 3, 2012.

Monroe Dunaway Anderson, or M.D. Anderson, is well known as a respected philanthropist, successful agri-businessman, and an admirable Tennessean. Mr. Anderson grew up in Jackson, TN, attended college in Memphis, and then returned to Jackson to work at the People’s National Bank.

In 1904, Mr. Anderson joined the cotton trading venture; Anderson, Clayton, and Company. The corporation flourished worldwide due to the rising demand for cotton during World War I. The company moved the operations to Houston, Texas to enable better access to deep water shipping. In 1936, Mr. Anderson established the M.D. Anderson Foundation with $300,000 and an additional $19 million endowment upon his death in 1939. The Foundation’s endowment money not only helped create the largest medical complex in the world, the Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas, but also established the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, which is one of the world’s most respected centers for cancer patient care, research, education, and prevention.

Fincher stated, “M.D. Anderson had a strong passion to find a cure for cancer. In addition to medical research, the M.D. Anderson Foundation has built libraries, auditoriums, college buildings, and a planetarium on the campus of the University College of Memphis Lambuth Campus in Jackson, Tennessee. We honor M.D. Anderson because of his generosity and interest in bettering the lives of others.”

H.R. 1264 designates the property between the United States Federal Courthouse and the Ed Jones Building located at 109 South Highland Avenue in Jackson, Tennessee as the “M.D. Anderson Plaza.” The bill also authorizes the placement of a historical/identification marker on the grounds recognizing the achievements and philanthropy of M.D. Anderson.

###